History Of Brisbane
History Of Paddington
Check out the length of those posts/stilts on these Paddington homes?
Paddington was originally settled by white people in the 1860s and was firstly called “Ti Tree Flats”. Prior to the white invasion, Paddington was home to the Turrbal Aborigines who were forced into camps on a site that is now Armstrong Terrace, near the old tram depot on Enoggera Terrace.First land sales occured in 1859 and 1860 with the sale of fifty-five lots. The area was named after the borough in England named Paddington. The lower town-end of Paddington was used for gold mining, and the higher area’s of upper Paddington were used more for pasture, timber and gardens in the flatter areas.
Above image is where Given Tce joins Latrobe Tce, taken in 1956
History of West End
The photo above is of a still existing convenience store on Vulture Street, West EndWest End Twilight Markets. Read more … ».
West End has long been home to migrant and indigenous communities, but in recent years parts of West End have been redeveloped and gentrified and reknown as an interesting, multicultural and bomemian place to visit or live.West End was named by early English settlers who found the area reminiscent of the West End of London (not that I can see the resemblance now). The former Tristram’s Drink Factory, 79 Boundary St, West End, built in 1928 and one of Australia’s best examples of the Mission Revival Style architecture was converted into a market in the 1990s and remains a heritage landmark of West End.
West End was one of the first suburbs of BrisbaneGiggle & Hoot & Friends On Stage. Read more … » to be serviced by a tram line (historic picture below taken on the Vulture and Boundary Street intersection in 1968), being opened in 1885. Initially the tram was horse-drawn and terminated in Boundary Street, but in 1897 the line was electrified and extended to the southern end of Hardgrave Road, via Vulture Street. It was subsequently extended down Hoogley Street to the ferry terminus at the end of Hoogley Street. The tram line closed on 13 April 1969.